posted to rec.boats.electronics
BruceinBangkok BruceinBangkok is offline

Default Water Usage Meter

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 19:28:28 -0800 (PST), Peter
wrote:

On Dec 29 2008, 4:01*am, foggywaters wrote:
Hi

I would like to install / build a meter that would display the amount
of water I have taken from my water tank(s). There is no access to the
tank(s), *installing level senders would be difficult.

I am aware of the WaterWatch. It would suffice but the literature says
the minimum water flow required is ~ 1.6 Gallons Per Minute. I don't
think it would record small demands i.e. brushing one's teeth.
Although it would be good for measuring the amount of water added to
the tanks.

I would prefer a system with a small in-line sensor sending pulses? to
a meter (LED ? LCD?) 10' away.

Any suggestions

foggywaters

Run a clear plastic hose (the one with the string embedded in the
tubing wall) from the drain of the tank to the water tank vent. You
then have a site guage for the tank. If you are a sailboat you may
have to run the line across the boat so when it heels you don't drain
the tank.

You don't even need then vent connection, just run the tubing a couple
of feet higher then the tank so it won't run over when the boat heels.
Cheers,

Bruce