Keith

Default Synthetic Oil?

For filter tests, see:
http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

--

Keith
__
There is no substitute for good manners, except perhaps fast reflexes.
"Rick & Linda Bernard" wrote in message
I use WIX filters also mainly because that is all the parts house stocks

in
my size. I know there is a lot of emotion for one brand or another but is
there a study as to which one works best (for diesels). It would not

bother
me to order off the internet for my 1 oil change per year @ about 20
additional engine hours and not much more on the genset. Sailboaters

don't
use much engine.

Also, with this few hours per year does the type of oil really matter? I
use Shell Rotella 15W-40 in the engine and genset and always felt this was
adequate.

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
news
x-no-archive:yes "Keith" wrote:

I kinda doubt it for an engine that old. For one thing, it's viscosity

is
lower than what you're probably using right now, so you might use more.

It
also might break a lot of gunk loose. For an engine that age, I'd just

stick
with regular mineral oil and a good change interval. Oh yea, and Wix

filters
if you can get them. None of that Fram crap.

We used to think this too, but we don't have anything BUT old engines
and we've not had that problem. The last new car we bought was a 1974
pickup. Our current cars that we are driving are all older than 1985,
and the boat is a 1979 - bought used and synthetic put in them ASAP.
One of the outboards is from the 50s and the other is probably very
early 1980s.

Do agree about using good filters though. We use the Amsoil filters
too or Hastings which are the same.

Now for a relatively new engine, I'd swear by synthetic. Have used it

in
several cars and it's fantastic. Matter of fact, Corvettes come with

pure
synthetic (Mobil 1) from the factory.

For a diesel, there are some synthetics specifically for diesels (CI)

like
Amsoil. I think Shell makes one as well, just make sure it's for

diesels.
If
you really want to go whole hog with your system, install a bypass
filtration system, like the one from Amsoil or the Gulf Coast Jr. and

as
long as you test your oil, you'll probably never have to change it

again,
just top off occasionally.

grandma Rosalie
http://www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4a9c6/