Brian Whatcott

Default Impeller Change

On 30 Aug 2003 19:24:36 GMT, (Baybyter) wrote:

When replacing the impeller in a raw water pump on a diesel engine, that is
sealed with a paper gasket, is it necessary to "paint" the gasket with silicone
or some other type of sealant when replacing the cover?

That might be a good idea - can't see it doing much harm. (Though
silicones need to be "sensor-safe" types around exhaust manifolds and
preferably not the ones that evolve acetic acid either.)

Also, I've heard that coating the impeller vanes with any kind of petroleum
based product, like Vaseline, ( to ease the installation) could cause the
neoprene vanes to swell or otherwise be damaged. Is this true? What about the
use of ordinary dishwashing liquid?

Dishwashing liquid should be a good bet. I might even try a vegetable
oil - a smear of olive oil perhaps?

Brian W