Texan

Default Clogged Cockpit Drains

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:28:23 -0400, Joe Wood
wrote:

Thanks for the good advice. I'll try the shop vac trick and if that
doesn't work I guess I'll have to get some gentle type of snake. If I
can't get it from topside, I guess that it's over the side for me.

This condition has lasted since last winter when I foolishly didn't put
the boat cover on. The boat almost sank, not from the drains, but
that's another story. The boat is in no danger since I do have two
drains one of which is open and the other is slow but it does drain
eventually. The seacocks are proper ball types.

Joe Wood

Joe Wood wrote:

One of my cockpit drains is running very slow from being clogged with
leaves, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I've tried wrapping the dock hose in tape to form a tight seal and
blowing it out with water pressure to no avail.

I'm loath to run any kind of snake down there because it's just hose and
there's a seacock below as well. BTW the hose is 4'-6' long with at
lease two 90 degree bends. Not a good design and way too small if I get
pooped.

Would Peggy's beloved Raritan CP safely dissolve this stuff.

Joe Wood

What I do is go overboard with a garden hose, stick the hose against
the thru hull and wrap it with a rag as best I can then have someone
turn it on. Blows the gunk backwards and gets a little messy in the
cockpit but that's no big deal.