Tom Dacon[_3_] Tom Dacon[_3_] is offline

Default Ratlines (rat linz)

"Gordon" wrote in message
Thinking of putting ratlines on my lower shrouds. Whats a good wood?
Thinking maybe Doug fir.
The first step will be a sheer pole. Up 16 inches will be a prestretched
dacron rope rung. Another rope rung 16 inches up from that.
Then a wood step, the 2 more ropes etc.
Any thoughts?
Gordon

Teak, left bare and unfinished, gives a good grip on your feet, particularly
as it continues to weather. It'll last practically forever without
maintenance.

Your plan of one wood, two rope and repeat is a good one, but as you get
closer to the top you might consider going with just rope (see my comment
below about chafe). I'd also put them a bit closer together, maybe 12 inches
or even better whatever the step spacing is on a common stepladder. It'd
make it a little easier to catch the next step when the boat's bouncing
around.

One problem to think about is chafe on the sails from the aft end of the
wooden ratlines, when the sails are eased well off.

Tom Dacon