Larry W4CSC

Default Alaska 2003 boat tour in Nordic Tug 37

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 01:17:12 -0700, Paul Lutus
wrote:

An Alaskan once said "for there to be more mosquitoes, they would have to be
smaller."

Having slept in Titusville, FL, in an unairconditioned 41' ketch we
were bringing home, the same could be said of Eastern Florida...(c;

I was wondering why it was getting hotter in the V-berth. The
mosquitoes that had come in the main hatch and had already eaten us
were clogging up the screen I put over the hatch, trying to get out,
and blocking the airflow.....(c;

Only the Alaska Chamber of Commerce doesn't
tell anyone about the bugs...(c; I recently watched a fishing show
taken on a float plane trip. The mosquitoes were so busy eating the
cameraman you could hardly see the fisherman who were being eaten
alive.....(c;

Yes, in the interior, on a fresh water lake and surrounded by muskeg bogs, a
mosquito's wet dream. The severity of the problem depends on where you are.
People who must be in a region like that commonly carry a wide-brimmed hat
draped with a close-mesh net, and are entirely covered, head to toe, when
they go outside.

Gee, that's not in my Alaska tour brochure....

This, by the way, is why many people prefer Alaska wintertime (for that
matter, late fall to early spring) to summertime. As soon as it freezes
overnight, all the mosquitoes die.

No wonder Alaskans I've met love winter so much.....self preservation!

Each webpage needs a duplicate navigation section just like you have
at the top of the webpages, at the bottom of each page, so that when
you've read the chapter and looked at the pictures you bump into the
navigation station, especiallly the button to go on to the next
chapter without having to scroll back up to the top.....easy to fix.

Easy to say, easy to fix, but that isn't the whole story. The index code is
rather large (much larger than it appears when displayed) and it would
almost double the size of many of my smaller pages. You may have noticed
all the pages on my site use the navigation index, for uniformity.

Just move the navigation section to the bottom, then. It'll be the
same size. Everyone there's already hooked on reading it....

Thanks for the trip! Sorry about your heater. My friend just bought
an Amel Sharpi ketch that lived in San Francisco with a diesel heater
in it. He had it removed and TWO air conditioners installed so we
could all survive the Charleston, SC, summer. That heater was, also,
completely destroyed inside by the diesel fuel.

I know how to fix mine, but it is still a great pain, and the manufacturer
(Espar) doesn't make cleaning it very easy. During the repair, it was as if
all the black grime got efficiently transferred from the heater's interior
to my galley.

Yep...that was the diesel heater in the ketch, too. The whole inside
of it was eaten out. Both ACs are running full bore in its place in
Charleston, now. Matter of fact, I think I left the thermostats on 62
last night. Should be nice and cool in there to start our little
Sunday cruise with friends today.....(c; We just GOTTA unfurl that
new mainsail!

Larry W4CSC
3rd Mate, Engineering
Her Majesty's sailing vessel "Claire's Navie"

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.