Larry W4CSC

Default You guys are great (even the departed Troll)

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 22:50:56 GMT, Ean Kingston
wrote:

At the beginning of the summer I was like you, Charles. Reading and lurking
but no experience. I did what you say you are planning to do. Now I have my
CYA (Canadian Yachting Association) 'Basic Cruising Standard' for skipper
and crew. This means (so I am told) that I can Skipper a sailboat up to 10
meters in length (about 30 feet) during the day, in ideal conditions, in
areas I know.

One of our "problems", as boaters, here in the USA is the
manufacturers and especially dealers have been quite successful in
keeping any kind of "licensing" from ever happening in the boating
business. Boats are sold on impulse buying. If they had to go get a
license to drive it, they'd not buy it in the first place.

It is perfectly legal in SC for a totally blind many with $$$$ (the
only thing the boat dealer is interested in, obviously) to buy a 60'
motor yacht and drive it away for the $$$$$$$$ alone.

I have a friend with $$$$$$$$$ whos first boat was bought in Hilton
Head Island, SC, from a yacht broker. He had never owned or even
driven a boat before the broker handed him the keys to his new 43'
sport fisherman with twin diesels. The guy helped him crank the
diesels before leaving the boat casting off his lines. Miraculously,
he made it up the ICW to Charleston, going aground only twice before
figuring out how the ICW is marked cryptically. He did nothing wrong
or illegal in doing so.

I'm for "driver's licenses" for boats, 100%......

Larry W4CSC

Maybe we could get the power grid fixed if every politician
regulating the power companies wasn't on their payrolls.