Stephen Trapani Stephen Trapani is offline

Default The worst Democrat President

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:

As I was usually either a supervisor of staffs of Moslems or, in some
cases living in Moslem environments it behooved me to know something
about the predominate religion in the area so I did study Islam and
while I am not learned enough the call myself an Imam I certainly
learned the basics, and more importantly, how the people themselves
regard their religion and quite simply your assertion that the Koran
would/could be interpreted to mean something different would regarded
as the gravest heresy throughout the country and by any of the various
Moslem sects that live there.

So you studied Islam and never new this:

From: http://uk.encarta.msn.com/encycloped...364/Koran.html

"The tradition of tafsir has often reflected divergences and trends
within Islam. Shiite interpretation of particular verses (of the Koran)
has often differed radically from that of the Sunnis, finding, for
instance, references to the special status of Ali ibn Abi Talib and the
Imams in the Koranic verses. In recent times both reforming “modernists”
and “fundamentalists” have interpreted the text in ways which conform
with their own viewpoints. Some have sought to show that the Koran is
not only in conformity with many of the ideas of modern science but
actually prefigures them. It is the often opaque nature of the Koranic
text itself which makes such divergent approaches possible."

I'll call your attention to the last sentence in particular, which
pretty much echoes what I said about all religions' Holy Books.

You, obviously, have never been in close contact with Islam and
frankly, don't know what you are talking about in this instance, so
any effort expended to attempt to educate you regarding Islam is
obviously doomed.

What does it mean that someone who, as you say, has never been in close
contact with Islam, can know far more about this fundamental aspect of
it than you do?

Stephen