hk hk is offline

Default Circuit City Kaput

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"John H" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 21:40:58 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

"hk" wrote in message
m...

Circuit City to liquidate, shutter stores
Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:08pm EST

By Karen Jacobs and Emily Chasan

ATLANTA/RICHMOND, Virginia (Reuters) - Bankrupt electronics retailer
Circuit City Stores said on Friday it will liquidate its assets and
shutter hundreds of U.S. stores after failing to reach a deal to sell
the
company.

Good riddance. Circuit City was one of the worst retail stores for
consumer
electronics (or anything for that matter) that I can think of. Sales
"associates" walking around with cell phones stuck in their ear, talking
friends or congregating in groups yuking it up while customers wait at the
register to pay for purchases or need assistance. We had two in this
area,
one was in business for several years, the other relatively new. Both
stores had the same cavalier culture when it came to the customers.

Plus, typically they didn't know anything about the products they sold.
Most
were high school kids working after school. At least Best Buy has some
trained sales associates that know something about what they sell. For
the
market it was supposed to serve, Circuit City was no better than a Target
or
Wal-Mart.

I am surprised they stayed in business as long as they did, economic
slowdown or no economic slowdown.

Eisboch

I wish someone could explain the satisfaction Harry finds in the fact that
companies are going out of business.

Is this good for liberals somehow? Circuit City had employees who had
jobs,
even if those folks did nothing. Is it in the best interest of liberals
that the unemployed numbers grow larger?

I'm missing something somewhere.

Yes, you are missing something, and so is Harry.

I'm not missing a thing in circuit city, nor was my comment in any
way intended to express "glee" over the closing of circuit city and the
loss of its jobs. The few times I shopped at circuit city were
uneventful. My comments simply served to point out yet another large
business failing at least partially as a result of the failed Bush
Administration.

We're going to have more of these as President Obama and his team
attempt to dig us out of the hole blasted to the core by the Bush
administration and its enablers.

As for Best Buy, the only times I have found anyone there who knows
anything is on the days the manufacturers or distributors have "reps"
around for a special event or sale. I don't fault the regular sales
staff for this; there are too many products at the store, the employees
aren't paid well, and the margins are tight.

We internet-shop a lot, although the Annapolis Mall has gotten a lot
more attractive the last year or so with its major league expansion. All
that's missing there now is an L.L. Bean and a Restoration Hardware,
which I frequented at the Tysons Corner Mall in Virginia. The only other
store in Virginia where I shop is the big MicroCenter computer store,
but they now have one in Rockville, MD. We have a nice Apple computer
store at Annapolis, where I bought my laptop and will soon be buying my
new desktop.

We're big fans here of Amazon.