Don White Don White is offline

Default Circuit City Kaput

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
m...

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message

iPods are having an effect, but the bigger issue, I think, is lack of
imagination and just plain balls in retailing. That's why this retailer
keeps growing every year:

http://www.rowephoto.com/index.html

Mid to high quality audio, full service, well-trained staff with
outrageous product knowledge. Began as a photo store 110 years ago.
Added audio & video in the mid-1980s. The stores are always busy. In a
sense, the owner built the business by responding to the big discounters
with "So what?" Wegmans (grocery chain) does the same thing.

Hopefully they will stay around because they are diversified. There used
to be a couple of decent high-end audio shops around my area but they
have all folded. The demand (or lack of) for quality equipment just
doesn't pay the rent anymore. Even manufacturers of decent speakers are
introducing lower performance, lower priced models of their equipment to
be carried by places like Best Buy. It's too bad because people still
spend a considerable amount of money for Best Buy's versions of Klipsch
or Martin Logan thinking they are getting high end speakers. For a small
amount more they could get the real thing.

Eisboch

Agree on Circuit City being crap. As to high end stores, some are
probably better than others. We have one in Livermore. When I was going
to put in a decent home theater system, went to them for a bid. They
listened to what I wanted, and then just ignored it. The first bid was
$10,000. About $8k above what I said my budget was. This did not include
a TV, just the speakers and amp/ receiver. Do not know if they are around
anymore either. Just a more expensive Circuit City. No one listening.

Wow...your bugdet of $2K demnded a tv also?
Big spender!