hk hk is offline

Default Circuit City Kaput

Eisboch wrote:

wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:46:26 -0500, "Eisboch"
wrote:

"hk" wrote in message

I sometimes play my ipod through my stereo...sounds just a hair below a
well-done CD. Nothing beats an ipod for portable entertainment.

I agree with the guy that wrote the article. Most sound like they were
recorded in a coffee can.
I occasionally use a mp3 for various purposes including burning cds or
downloading to Mrs.E's iPod.
But before I do, I use a program called "Audacity" to modify and
enhance the
file to get rid of that coffee can sound.

I just cannot handle that overly compressed, airy and tinny sound.
Different strokes.

Eisboch

Mostly fixed with phase correction.

... and making your MP3's with a much higher sample rate than the
default. try 192k

High sample rates (320kbps) certainly makes them better but the files
get bigger. Wav files sound best because there's no compression, but
the files are huge. People aren't into quality, they are into quantity,
so they pack their iPods and mp3 players with low quality, low sample
rate files. I just can't get into that. Despite what some claim, I can
(and so can my wife) distinguish the difference of a high quality CD PCM
track and a high sample rate conversion of it to mp3.

You can't replace what isn't there. But, with Audacity you can add some
depth to get rid of the coffee can sound.
As discussed many times before, it all depends on what you are listening
to them on. An iPod plugged into a docking station or a non-revealing
audio system sounds ok for background music.

Eisboch

It sorta depends on *what* you are listening to, too.