Default Circuit City Kaput

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"hk" wrote in message
m...

Circuit City to liquidate, shutter stores
Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:08pm EST

By Karen Jacobs and Emily Chasan

ATLANTA/RICHMOND, Virginia (Reuters) - Bankrupt electronics retailer
Circuit City Stores said on Friday it will liquidate its assets and
shutter hundreds of U.S. stores after failing to reach a deal to sell
the company.

Good riddance. Circuit City was one of the worst retail stores for
consumer electronics (or anything for that matter) that I can think of.
Sales "associates" walking around with cell phones stuck in their ear,
talking to friends or congregating in groups yuking it up while customers
wait at the register to pay for purchases or need assistance. We had two
in this area, one was in business for several years, the other relatively
new. Both stores had the same cavalier culture when it came to the
customers.

BTW, here's another recent bankruptcy that is really too bad, but it was
inevitable.
"Sound Advice" was a decent mid to low high end quality audio retailer
based in Florida until they were purchased by Tweeter in 2001. Since
then, both companies have been on a downward slide and recently threw in
the towel and went belly up. Good write up on Sound Advice in the first
link.
The second link is why high end, good quality audio equipment is becoming
a thing of the past.
People are more interested in having "thousands" of files of compressed
crap on their iPods instead of high quality recordings worthy of decent
equipment. Sad.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/sound-advice

http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...-down-of-audio

Eisboch

iPods are having an effect, but the bigger issue, I think, is lack of
imagination and just plain balls in retailing. That's why this retailer
keeps growing every year:

http://www.rowephoto.com/index.html

Mid to high quality audio, full service, well-trained staff with outrageous
product knowledge. Began as a photo store 110 years ago. Added audio & video
in the mid-1980s. The stores are always busy. In a sense, the owner built
the business by responding to the big discounters with "So what?" Wegmans
(grocery chain) does the same thing.