Jim Woodward

Default Practical alternative to buying paper charts?

You didn't say where you were going, so I'm guessing it's not just
coastal cruising. If that's the case, once you leave the developed
world, "most current" is an illusion. On our circumnav we used a
chart that had been surveyed around 1780 by Captain Cook -- the latest
available survey. Except for the USA, Canada, Europe and some of
South America, there are few aids to navigation and the underlying
surveys will be 60-100 years old.

I know it's heresy, but for third world cruising, I would much rather
spend money on wider coverage and more harbor charts, than worrying
about having the latest edition of a particular chart.

I won't get into the question of whether you need paper charts to back
up electronic ones -- that's been overdone before -- my paper
collection speaks to my opinion on the subject.

I will note, however, that as far as I know, the electronic charts
available in the USA are mostly from US and British charts. For many
foreign places, this is a serious mistake, as, for example, the SHOAM
(French) charts of French Polynesia are much more recent and much more
comprehensive than the US or British ones. As you might expect, we
have a lot of British Admiralty, Canadian, Australian, New Zealand,
and French charts, with a few Danish, Dutch, and German thrown in, but
you might not expect Thailand, Turkey, Chile, and Fiji as sources that
are better than US but almost certainly don't show up on the
electronic versions. And, of course, Imray for the Caribbean and part
of Europe.....

Jim Woodward
www.mvfintry.com

(Stan Sroga) wrote in message om...
(Jim Woodward) wrote in message . com...
Make copies.

We own about 600 charts (some new, some old, some original, some
copies). I have in the past, and would again, make copies for people
for
1) actual cost, US$2-3 per chart, plus
2) postage expenses, plus
3) a separate check to a charity of my choice for US$1 per chart.

I would also be interested in trading copies -- need South America,
Northern Europe....

I should add that this isn't a business -- I won't make fewer than,
say, fifty copies, or at least $50 for the charity....

Jim Woodward

Thanks for the offer Jim, though I'd like to save money, my first
priority is to get the most curent electropnic charts available. I
just do not know where the best place to buy them is?

Stan Sroga
www.mvfintry.com

(Stan Sroga) wrote in message . com...
Although all of the computer software chart companies (CAPN,
Nobeltec,,)claim that their products are supplements, not
replacements, for paper charts it seems like it would be practical to
print out sections of the charts and carefully tape them together?

We are planning a long trip to places that we will not return to for
years and it is hard to spend the money on a stack of charts that will
be used only once.

Is a there a practical alternative to buying new paper charts?

Stan