Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Icom 402 radio woes..or is it my antenna system?

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 04:52:48 GMT, "J. Slater"
wrote:

Ok, have I thoroughly lost everyone yet?

The third unit sounds great (voice quality and volume are terrific on all
radios) except that it appears that I can't reach anybody past 5 miles out,
line of sight on the water! Batteries showing 13.6 volts (all were replaced
6 months ago, with new cables, etc.). Radio is connected "directly" to house
battery bank and my voltmeter confirms a full 13.6 volts reaching radio.
Yes, I'm also sure the radio is on "High" power output. I'm also having
trouble picking up transmissions outside of 5 miles as well. Seems to point
towards the antenna again, doesn't it? Antenna height is 58 feet from the
water and it is a 3db model if my memory serves me right.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing here? I just don't really want
to climb my mast anymore times than I have to...

Try borrowing a known good radio from a neighbor. You can eliminate
the antenna variable that way without climbing.

Or, get an emergency antenna and see if your radio works better with
that. You probably ought to carry one anyway.

Also, it may be an adapter is available to couple your handheld VHF to
the boat's antenna cable. If the 5-W radio gets more range than the
Icom's 25, you know the answer.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

MOM CASTS TOT IN CEMENT

Most experts voice cautious optimism