Charles Cox

Default Vessel detectors

What I don't understand is why a ship would turn off their radar. Are they trying to save the few watts of power? Are they trying
to reduce wear on the radar? Does it interfere with their satellite TV? It seems the cost of operation is so low compared to the
potential consequences that there would be no motive to turn it off.

On 20 Aug 2003 08:11:15 -0700, (Jim Woodward) wrote:

I don't know about 50% at fault, but the Colregs are pretty clear:

Rule 4: Rules in this section apply to any condition of visibility.

Rule 5: Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper lookout by
sight and hearing as well as by all available means....

Rule 7(a) Every vessel shall use all available means appropriate to
the prevailing circumstances...

Rule 7(b): Proper use shall be made of radar equipment if fitted and
operational,...

In other words:
1) Keep a visual lookout.
2) If you have radar, you shall use it.