posted to alt.autos.gm,can.politics,can.taxes,rec.boats
Canuck57[_6_] Canuck57[_6_] is offline

Default GM CEO Letter

"80 Knight" nospam wrote in message
"Canuck57" wrote in message

"HLS" wrote in message

"C. E. White" wrote in message
Lot of total BS in that letter you seem to like. I think it was written
by a bitter overpaid salesman that failed at his job.

Assembly plants are routinely ranked on productivity by outside
auditors. GM and Ford plants often do better than US Toyota and Nissan
Plants. Unions have certainly gone to excess in some cases, but without
unions (or at least the threat of unions), how do you think GM, Ford,
Toyota and Nissan would treat their workers? I wonder how well Mr. Know
treats his...

It has been awhile, but I still recall the reports on how Toyota treats
it suppliers in Japan. I am not talking about the happy Toyota workers
at the Toyota assembly plants. I am talking about the harassed brow
beaten pennies a day worker at Toyota's suppliers.I'll bet Mr. Know
would love that model. Maybe when he get his wish and the "Big Three"
go under, and his only significant Customer is Japan Inc, he'll enjoy
the experience.

Ed

This has little to do with it, as I see it, Ed.

These companies have to be successful financially, like any other
company,.
Their luck may have run bad, but their leadership and elaboration of
their
activities has been poor.

They have been given a second shot at life, courtesy of the US
taxpayers.

They need to step up to the plate, or leave the field.

Yep, a second shot from US and Canadian tax payers. Hope they don't
waste it but after 30+ of dysfunction my guess is they have neither the
culture or leadership to take advantage of it. But, if they took it
seriously they might make it work. Both the management and union need to
get real, tough, lean, mean and really really want it as lip service BS
isn't going to carry the day any longer.

You do realize that GM has not taken one cent from the Canadian government
yet, right?

Not sure, but they might not have gotten it all yet. But the $4-5B in money
is allocated and as good as gone. $760M has already been flushed outright.
I think it has some condition with the union... like no-strike then woosh
down the toilet it goes. Well, if your sitting on your ass for 95% pay at
home for Christmas and January that is very expensive tax payer subsidy.