posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default keel bolt torque

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:44:54 -0600, cavelamb

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 21:13:59 +0100,
wrote:

Hi,
can anyone advise me on the roughly correct torque setting for
tightening the nuts on my keelbolts?
The studs are 20mm (thats about 13/16") in 316L plus one at
12mm(about 1/2")

The keel is 2 tonnes of lead if that makes any difference.

I'd hate at this stage (five long and bloody years) to over or
undertighten the bolts.

Thanks
Pete

1/2 inch = 80 pounds
3/4 inch = 250 pounds
1 inch = 350 pounds

These figures above are for DRY hardware. Being stainless, it's highly
advisable to apply some lanacote or grease to avoid galling.
Lubrication means reduce the torque figures above by 10%

Is that inch pounds or foot pounds???

Sorry. Foot Pounds