Glenn Ashmore

Default Reliable weather faxes from a laptop computer?

Conor Crowley wrote:
And what is wrong with using a good portable as long as it has an SSB
mode? If one is only intersted in Weather Fax, I see no reason to
not recommend a Yachtboy as a cheap alternative to an M802

It depends on where you are. The fine tune and sinsitivity of the YB400
is a bit poor for WEFAX reception. I have gotten a usable fax from NWS
New Orleans as far away as Georgetown, Bahamas but it takes a lot of
patience and the "touch" to do it. If you are inland in a noisy area it
doesn't stand a chance.

If you can find one, a Radio Shack DX-394 works great on 12VDC. RS
discontinued them a few years ago but you can still find them on ebay
for about $100.00. I got good copy out of NMN Portsmouth all the way
down 65W to Tortola on a 23' wire strung out a hatch and up the flag
halyard. NWS was perfect copy all the way to Trinidad.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com