Rick

Default do I need a captain license when I charter my boot

Dennis Gibbons wrote:
You only need a US Captain's license if you are operating in US waters.

That will certainly put a kink in the operation of thousands of
freighters, tankers, cruise ships, and other commercial vessels
operating to and from American ports each day.

Since the poster is probably German and is possibly operating a vessel
registered in Germany, as master he need only meet the licensing
requirements of the "flag state" of his vessel, probably Germany.

If he is a German citizen he can not obtain an American license in any
event even if his vessel is American registered and since he did not
claim any desire to operate in US waters the US has sweet FA to do with
anything anyway except for militaristic adventures involving teenagers
with machineguns claiming to keep the US free of drugs and "terrists."

Rick