Keith

Default Practical alternative to buying paper charts?

http://www.fugawi.com/viewenc/viewenc.html for the free viewer. Here is a
list of other free viewers.

Free ENC Viewers

a.. Several ENC viewers are available for free and can be accessed at this
link: http://www.openecdis.org/freeware/index.html
b.. CARIS Easy-ENC http://www.caris.com/free/index.cfm
c.. Fugawi View ENC http://www.fugawi.com/viewenc/viewenc.html
d.. ENC Data Handler for ArcView http://www.csc.noaa.gov/products/enc/
These all came from NOAA's ENC site at:
http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/mcd/enc/resource.htm

--

Keith
__
"Ken Coit" wrote in message
m...
Keith,

If you have link to that free viewer, I 'd like to have it. All I find is
Fugawi Marine ENC at http://www.fugawi.com/docs/navframe.html which is the
$200 package I mentioned earlier.

Ken

"Keith" wrote in message
You can also download a free viewer from Fugawi at

http://www.fugawi.com.
Look for "Fugawi View ENC".

--

Keith
__
"Ken Coit" wrote in message
m...
You could buy the up-to-date charts for your cruise and then sell them

when
you are done.

NOS/NOAA has free Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs)

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/cgi-bin.../enc/index.htm
that are approved for navigation, but you need software to read them.
Fugawi (www.fugawis.com) has a $200 package. Not all the charts have

been
digitized in this format.

Now then, you still need the paper backup to keep your computer, Bill

Gates,
or a simple power loss from doing you in. Color printing of the ENCs

might
be more expensive than buying the charts. B/W printed copies might

save
your bacon, but a Chart Kit might be a better alternative depending on

where
you are headed.

Good luck,

Ken

"Stan Sroga" wrote in message
om...
Although all of the computer software chart companies (CAPN,
Nobeltec,,)claim that their products are supplements, not
replacements, for paper charts it seems like it would be practical

print out sections of the charts and carefully tape them together?

We are planning a long trip to places that we will not return to for
years and it is hard to spend the money on a stack of charts that

will
be used only once.

Is a there a practical alternative to buying new paper charts?

Stan