Derek Weston

Default Vessel detectors

(Larry) wrote in message ...
How are you going to filter out white light from the stars? It
contains red and green, too.

I was imagining determining the difference in magnitude between the
red and green signals, 'though there are other possibilities for
differentiating between starlight spectra and nav light spectra.

What about coming up on the stern of that 950' containership at
anchor?

Unlikely mid ocean :-)

Better stick with the radar and get a shaft alternator or
wind bugger, instead.....please?

Well maybe, but what I've learned from this thread, my own
observations and others remarks is that nothing (including radar and
an alert watchkeeper) will detect everything which may cause a
problem.

.... Lucky for them it's a big ocean.

Indeed. But it really is a big ocean - I can recall three two week
stretches at sea when we saw absolutely no other vessels.