RichH

Default Penetrating question

Do you have a website on this? ... chemical composition?
Always good for an old dog to learn new tricks.

I've been using Collinite Fleet Wax as the best lasting natural carnauba
.... but only get several months life out of it; and, like ANY wax you
have to 'strip' the stuff from gelcoat every year or so.

Subject: Penetrating question
From: RichH
Date: 8/15/03 10:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Penetrol looks good for the first few months, then oxidizes with a
yellow cast.
Best for gelcoat restoration is to wet sand off the oxidized surface
with 2000 grit wet and dry followed by power buffing with a high speed
autobody shop buffer with pure lambswool bonnets (1 bonnet per grit
size). Polishing grits used in sequence 1000, 1300, 2000. Followup with
an application of carnauba paste wax applied with water and hand rubbed
into the pores, followed by a power buff.
Process will usually restore gelocat to NEW condition if there is
sufficient depth remaining, otherwise paint the sucker. Thbe above
process is what is done to a NEW hull when its pulled from its mold to
remove irregularities, hazes and blemishes.

If you keep the gelcoat (new or restored) fully sealed with wax to
prevent oxidation you wont have to restore it. BTW - stip any wax
yearly with caustic to remove the oxidized wax which will promote
oxidation of the gelcoat.

There are several snake-oil treatments on the market that cover the
oxidized gelcoat with a polymer ... and they look like hell in
comparison to a buffed and restored hull.

I'd have to agree with everything that Rich has said except I would use Zaino
instead of wax. It's not snake oil, it does what it claims, much easier to
apply, way out lasts wax, gives a mirror like shine and you don't have to strip
it off yearly due to build up.

Capt. Bill