Keith

Default Speaking of caulking ...

If it's silicone, the stuff may actually be growing inside the caulk. Also,
you can't caulk over old silicone, even with new silicone. It just won't
stick. Best thing if you really want to mess with it is to remove all the
old caulking/bedding and redo it with polysulfide like BoatLife. Otherwise,
you can try bleach or something with oxalic acid in it, like FSR or
barkeeper's friend scrubbing powder.

--

Keith
__
"Paul" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
My anchor gypsy (okay, I'm not really sure it's called that ... the thing
that I wrap the rode around and it pulls it up when I press the button) is
caulked around the bottom where it attaches to the deck. The caulking is
getting some mold or fungus or whatever -- I didn't DNA test it.

I shot it with some fantastik but that didn't do anything. The caulking
itself seems to be fine but it looks like crap and I'd like to clean it

up.

My question is this:

Should I just caulk right over it to make it nice again or will the mold
come right through again? Is there some cleaner that I can use?

My goal is to have a watertight seal that also looks good. Right now it's
watertight so I think all I want to do is make it look good.

Over to you.