djmarchand

Default What's the best dinghy for cruising and why?

As others have said, there is no best dinghy as it depends on your
circumstances. But here is what we use and why:

Caribe 9X with 9.8 hp Nissan with flat pitch prop and Doel-Fin

We cruised the east coast and Bahamas last year and needed a dinghy that
could go reasonable far and fast and carry two adults, a 40 lb dog and some
groceries/laundry/etc. The above rig will do that and plane with all of the
load. It wouldn't plane with all of this stuff without the flat pitch prop
and Doel-Fin.

We carry the dinghy on aft davits so the short length is a plus. If this is
not an issue I would go up to 10 feet- it will plane easier. The Caribe is a
bit heavier than some but it is built tough- look at the heavy molded rub
rail for example. And it is hypalon which is essential for long term storage
in the sun. The X version indicates a double layer floor. The lighter RIBs
have no floor but we used one like this for a while and found that walking
on the sloped floor was difficult and the double layer floor was well worth
it. If I had to manually haul it up regularly I might go with the lighter
models, but on davits an extra 20 lbs or so is tolerable.

The Nissan is one of the lightest 10 hp outboards and has a bullet proof
reputation. I have also used the Yamaha 10 hp. It is much heavier but I
think is better built. I particularly liked the front mounted shifter.

David