Skip Gundlach

Default Spectra 150 Deluxe Watermaker

"Jerry F" no-email-address wrote in message
While I have no first hand experience with the Ventura 150 model, it
certainly appears that the key components --- membrane and clark pump are
the same.

The higher capacity units have two feed pumps vs the one feed pump in the
150. I cannot tell if the feed pumps are the same or not. This is where
the higher capacity comes from.

The Newport units also appears to have more raw water filters than the

150.
This is either not a problem if you are using it only in nice clean water,
or something that you may want to address if you may not be in the

cleanest
water. You can probably add your own filters if you feel it is necessary.

The Newport unit also includes a fresh water flush module that does not
appear to be included with the ventura.

If the 6.3 GPH does the job for you, the 150 seems like a great choice. I
believe that most of GPH numbers are based on the battery voltage being at
full charge during the watermarking cycle. Unless you have a large

battery
bank, or are charging your batteries, that voltage may not be there and
actual capacity may be less. I sized my watermaker based on the amount of
time that I planned on running one of my battery charging sources (main
engine / genset) each day. Same for my sailboats except that on a bright
sunny day in the Bahamas, the watermaker ran all day off my solar panels

(4
X 75 watts). I had more water than I knew what to do with --- gave some
away, washed the boat.

Currently web-challenged, I have not been to their site(s). How much do
these cost??

I intend solar and wind generation unless I get a boat with a nearly new
genset (and maybe, still, even then), so I'm quite encouraged to think that
RO and other stuff can be managed just with solar in the Caribbean, which is
where I'll be.

L8R

Skip

"And then again, when you sit at the helm of your little ship on a clear
night, and gaze at the countless stars overhead, and realize that you are
quite alone on a great, wide sea, it is apt to occur to you that in the
general scheme of things you are merely an insignificant speck on the
surface of the ocean; and are not nearly so important or as self-sufficient
as you thought you were. Which is an exceedingly wholesome thought, and one
that may effect a permanent change in your deportment that will be greatly
appreciated by your friends."- James S. Pitkin