Denis Marier

Default Westsail32 vs. Ranger 33 , which would you like to own?

I just finished looking at the Ranger 33 evaluation in the Practical Sailors
and it corroborate your statement.
It is a good coastal sailboat. As with the Westsail32 it is more suited for
blue water cruising. However, getting into the Mistake Cove or Cow Yard
(Maine Coast) in dense fog with a full keel boat could be disastrous in
avoiding the rocky entrance. My friend's full keel sailboat landed on the
rocks with a punched hole in her hull taking on water. He tried to avoid
the rocks but the boat did not turned in time. On the Maine or Nova Scotia
coasts when you land on the rocks in dense fog the Coast Guard are not close
by you are on your own. Many time. I have avoided rocks with the quick
response of the fin keel on my boat. At time, I still have bad dreams about
it.
"DSK" wrote in message
"Denis Marier" wrote:
Should you not be able to afford a Westsail or Ranger what would be

the next
best pre owned boat for blue water.

Hmm.. by "blue water" are you talking about some kind of cleaning product?

If
you're talking about ocean passagemaking, Rangers are not particularly

good boats
for that specific task. But they could do it, if other factors make the

Ranger a
strong choice.

Frank and Ronnie Maier wrote:
Rangers ain't exactly expensive. Just how low a price range are we
talking about?

Right. For some reason, Rangers have really been beaten down on the

market... IMHo
they are no worse, and some ways much better, than the 'average'

production boat
of their era. In all they're not particularly well built boats.

Frank (In the interest of full disclosure, I didn't participate in the
basic thread here 'cause I wouldn't own a Westsail at any price; so my
opinion is infinitely biased in favor of Ranger in this comparison.)

I dunno, there's a pretty long list of boats I wouldn't take if they paid

me, but
Westsails make that cut

FWIW YachtWorld.Com for-sale listings have a LONG list of boats ~ 32' that

would
be pretty good choices for cruising at $15K. Certainly most of them need

at least
some upgrading, but what they would mostly need in order to be offshore

capable is
a good skipper.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King