[email protected] coxtronics@gmail.com is offline

Default X-band and S-band Radar

On Jan 6, 7:23*pm, Geoff Schultz wrote:
In an attempt to discuss something related to cruising, can someone explain
the differences between X-band and S-band radar systems? *From what I know,
S-band is used on large ships and X-band is used on vessels less than 300
tons.

-- Geoffwww.GeoffSchultz.org

Geoff - X band is mandatory on all solas vessels - for the purpose of
search and rescue. Sarts been now mandatory. Most commercial
vessels will have two radars one x and one s but in many cases, older
vessels will have two x band radars. One radar must have a
arpa facility if the vessel is over 1600tons. In my part of the world
Southern Africa - X band is pretty useless in tropical storms with the
S band giving better target discrimination.(10cm wavelength against
3cm wavelength)
S band radars also generally have 12ft antennas against the 4/6 or 9
foot x band scanners.

Rgds
Mike