Mr. Catfish

Default Engine overheat-yanmar 2qm15

From: (Richard Kollmann)
Newsgroups: rec.boats.cruising
Date: 11 Aug 2003 05:59:20 -0700
Subject: Engine overheat-yanmar 2qm15

In these engines with water lift mufflers extra pressure is required
of the raw water pump at high power to over come the exhaust pressure.
Motoring into rough water adds air bubbles to the system reducing
pressure and can stop all flow of water. A through hull water scoop
helps control this problem by forcing the air through the pump.
Have you cleaned out the outlet fitting on the heat exchanger and the
inlet water fitting on the exhaust elbow? Has the raw water pump cam
been replaced? In charter boats these cams only last about three years
in the older small Yanmar engine.
From the author Of books on Boat Refrigeration
http://www.Kollmann-marine.com

Well, damn, that is another angle I have not heard before, my old yanmar is
raw water cooled, just a thermostat to direct the water for temp. control,
I'll check the inlet fitting when I flush the engine, and replace the raw
water pump cam. Thanks. Maybe I should get a storm sail?!!

George Pappas
S2 9.2A "EXO"