posted to alt.sailing
richard cortese richard cortese is offline

Default Tracing a pattern?

"Uncle Bob" wrote in message
I'm putting in a bulkhead in a gutted power boat. I'm looking for info
on how to trace the curved surface of the hull vertically with the
chines etc so I get a close fit with the bulkhead material. If anyone
know any tips tricks or tutorials please let me know. Thanks

There is a technique that people who lay tiles use that transfers patterns
well. They square up a tile on the last whole tile and bump another tile
against the obstruction.

Anyway if you don't have a tile guy handy who can show you the technicque,
it would go similar to this.

Get a yardstick with a level or plumbob with fixed length string. Put a
sheet of plywood or what you want to make the pattern out of ABOVE the hull.
Something like a 4'x8' sheet of plywood set on the rails/gunwales.
i.e.

*********************
* O *
* O *
* O *
* x *
\ x /
\ x /
\ x /
\/
Where the x is a yard stick with a level on it, the O are the marks you make
on the plywood as you move the stick to the right while keeping it vertical.
Repeat in the other direction and cut out.

Sorry if my illustrations are too bad to figure out.

Rick