Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default Walking down the dock

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 12:22:46 -0700, slide
wrote:

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:58:29 -0500, "Ernest Scribbler"
wrote:

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote
www.meder.hu
"Sailing Alone Around the World with Carina (19ft boat)"

Fascinating site. Thanks.

I found him quite interesting to talk to. Apparently he wanted to sail
around the world and so just went out and did it.

From talking to him the boat was all he could afford and so he went
for it. He makes no pretenses that he has the best boat and in fact
when I said I had a 40' boat he commented that I must be a lot faster
then him. He said that coming up the Malacca Straits he was able to do
1.5 K, over the ground at times. His Atlantic crossing was 5 weeks and
I asked him how he carried all the supplies and he mentioned that he
tried to use as little fresh water as possible :-)

Given his meager fuel, if he gets becalmed, he pretty much just need to
wait it out putting stress on his water supplies. I wonder if he has a
solar still for just such situations.

Did he have a huge supply of books aboard?

BTW, I met Robin Knox Johnson years ago. One of his stories still gives
me the shivers.

Difficult to believe that he can carry more then, say 20 Ltrs of fuel,
or many books for that matter. It is a small boat.

I'll probably talk to him again and will try to get some details of
how, what, how much, etc.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)