Bruce in alaska Bruce in alaska is offline

Default X-band and S-band Radar

In article ,
"Steve Lusardi" wrote:

Bruce,
Perhaps I am confused, but I have been taught that the larger wavelength
radar (S-Band) is not affected by weather as much as X-Band. It will
penetrate weather and resolve targets behind the weather better than X-Band.
Where X-Band radars are better at displaying the weather itself. I have also
been told that S-Band discriminates ice from sea clutter better than X-Band.
Steve

Maybe your weather is different than the stuff we get up here in the
North Pacific, BUT S-Band is useless in our Snow Storms, and our X-Band
are reduced significantly. S-Band has been used for YEARS to monitor
Water Vapor and Cloud Density, by the NOAA/USWB, and a lot of the
original Research was done in Seattle, by a couple of Radar Techs from
the old Radar Electric Shop. I worked on a few of the later units with
the Researcher, just as the FCC STA's were expiring, to get them renewed.

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply