Calif Bill Calif Bill is offline

Default Digital Converter Boxes

"Eisboch" wrote in message

wrote in message

On Jan 6, 11:53 pm, "Eisboch" wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message

As long as the tv is digital ready you are ok.. it's only older tv's
that will be effected. If the tv works now with cable from the wall,
it is digital and you will not have a problem if I understand
correctly..

--------------------------------------

I don't think that is true. The older analog TVs work now connected
directly to the cable (no box) because the cable company also provides an
analog signal in addition to digital.

The reason I asked is because the people living in the assisted living
place that my mother is in are all concerned that their older analog TVs
won't work. Most of them are on fixed incomes and have basic cable
service that does not require a cable box. I've tried to decipher the
Comcast advertisements on the subject and they are not very clear. They
say, "if you are a cable subscriber" you don't need to do anything, and
the ads show a TV connected to one of their boxes.

I guess the real question is, "How much longer will the cable companies
continue to provide the analog signal on their cable lines?" I suspect
that eventually (if not starting this February) that they will phase out
the analog signal and do everything in digital. It only makes sense
because analog consumes much of the bandwidth capacity of cable and they
want it for other things (like digital voice for telephone). If my
assumption is correct, then anyone with an analog only TV will eventually
require either a cable box from the cable company, a digital to analog
converter box or a digital TV.

Meanwhile, this is funny. I made a copy and sent it to my mother.

http://www.eisboch.com/digitalconversion.wmv

Eisboch

If you do not need the converter box coupon's you can order 2, the max per
address and deliver them to senior centers or assisted living centers. They
can also only get 2 coupons.