Larry

Default Engine overheat-yanmar 2qm15

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 08:11:22 -0400, "Mr. Catfish"
wrote:

Do the water passages get clogged after years of use and if the engine is
under strain it will show up as overheating?

Sure. The heat exchangers need occasional boiling out at a radiator
shop.

Lemme ask another question. We had a 3GM on an Endeavour 35 sloop
that overheated. When I opened the cap on the heat exchanger it was
NEARLY EMPTY even though the level in the recovery tank was full!
What had happened is the hose to the recovery tank goes from the heat
exchanger to the CAP on the recovery tank, then depends on a tube that
goes from the cap down to the bottom of the tank to suck fluid back up
as the engine cools. It sucks! The hose inside the tank fell off
because the idiots who made it have it trying to grab onto a slippery
piece of plastic that's NOT a barb. I gave up trying to keep it on
the cap's little pipe and replaced the whole tank with a recovery tank
from an auto parts store where the hose came out the BOTTOM in the
first place, making opening the cap easier without all the hose crap
in the way.

Every time the engine ran, antifreeze pressurized the cap on the heat
exchanger which allowed fluid to flow to the tank. Every time the
engine cooled, the fluid in the heat exchanger contracted, SUCKING AIR
FROM THE TANK WITH THE DAMNED HOSE LAYING INSIDE IT.

Stupid design, stupid installation......almost burned up the engine!

Idiots!

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.