Mr. Catfish

Default Engine overheat-yanmar 2qm15

During adverse conditions, 45knt gusts, blinding rain a tide going out and a
current besides, (At one point I looked at the GPS and with the engine
running 2400rpm we were going 0 knts) shortly after this the engine
overheated so I shut it off, there was enough sail sticking up so I had
steerage but I did get blown off course. After about half-hour of being
blown around I started the engine, the temperature came down to normal
slowly and the engine ran fine for the next few hours it took to get back to
the slip. Is this engine getting too old (1979) ? Thermostat and impeller
about 20hrs., raw water cooling, strainer not clogged, no air leak.
Do the water passages get clogged after years of use and if the engine is
under strain it will show up as overheating?