Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Do u have what it takes to be a real mariner?

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 18:13:39 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

But your are right about slim pickin in the 70s. I think times have
improved dramatically since then. The US transportation dept or
some .gov agency along with a few industry associations conducted a
maritme manning survey released last summer. The study painted a doom
and gloom man shortage for both US deep sea and brownwater companies.
Just cant get people to go sailing anymore. Christ, if a 70 year old
got a bunk Id say shipping has really got to be in a hurt!

It was '71 or '72, and the union reps at the hall told me they were
pulling guys off the streets just a while back. Viet Nam had wound
down.

Do you think Wilbur would sign up or would it take him away from his
current crusing life?

Might do him some good.

Hope your new year is going well Vic!

It ain't, really. I only get wet in the bathtub.
But I'm not really complaining.
Hope you're doing well.

--Vic