otnmbrd

Default Vertical clearance ??

First off, I must confess, that out on the West Coast, I've just used
the existing tide tables and bridge clearance numbers and compared the
two to find my clearance and MLW/MLLW be damned, since most of the
bridges that I've passed under, had enough clearance, that it normally
wasn't a concern.
However, a couple things on Jack's post:
1. MHW is used to discuss bridge clearances in the US, unless otherwise
noted (we noted some differences).
2. In dealing with charted depths and tide tables, MLW is the datum for
the East (and I believe Gulf - correction any one?) Coast (with
exceptions), while MLLW is the datum for the West Coast.
3. This causes the problem (and it may or may not be). If your tide
tables are based on MLLW, how do you apply those readings to MLW/MHW
(used for bridge clearance) to get the closest possible reading?
(realizing that all of these readings are subject to error due to many
factors of weather, etc.. )

otn

Jack Dale wrote:

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 18:07:42 GMT, otnmbrd
wrote:

Chuck Bollinger wrote:

But something bothers me about Mean Tidal Level being half way between
MHW and MLW, especially where there are two diurnal highs and lows.
Can't put my finger on it, but that seems like one of those shortcuts
that can introduce errors. Kind of like those situations where computing
from the results of a computation introduces error. Another thing to
research.

This is part of my problem with this. If we need to find the height of
MHW and our tide datum is based on MLLW, I'm not sure how we can
directly convert with any certainty from the info given.
Also:
Diurnal - Single high and low
Semi Diurnal - two high and low
Mixed - Variations/inequalities in highs and lows .... what we have on
the West Coast, with variations in local

This is one area I've always been weak on, so BG hopefully this old
dog can learn some new tricks.

There is no need to convert anything. They are different
measurements.

(?)

On US charts use MWH to deal with clearances and heights. The
clearance is normally the minimum clearance available under a bridge,
overhead lines, etc.. Use your tide tables to determine if you have
additional clearance.

Understood, however, see above

Mean High Water (MHW): A tidal datum. The average of all the high
water heights observed over the National Tidal Datum Epoch. For
stations with shorter series, simultaneous observational comparisons
are made with a control tide station in order to derive the equivalent
datum of the National Tidal Datum Epoch.
(http://co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/mapfinder/mhw.html)

Again, understood

Use MLLW to deal with depths on US charts. MLLW will normally be the
shallowest that the water will be. Use your tide tables to determine
how much water you have under you on that day at that time. Also
this information will let know how much additional depth you have over
underwater rocks that are a danger to navigation, how much water is
over rocks awash and whether or not drying rocks are visible.

Disagree with using MLLW for all US Charts as the datum, the rest
understood.

Mean Lower Low Water (MLLW): A tidal datum. The average of the lower
low water height of each tidal day observed over the National Tidal
Datum Epoch. For stations with shorter series, simultaneous
observational comparisons are made with a control tide station in
order to derive the equivalent datum of the National Tidal Datum
Epoch. (http://co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/mapfinder/mllw.html)

Understood

Always read the title block to establish datum for clearances and
depths, and ensure that you use the appropriate tide tables. Canadian
datum is based on Lowest Normal Tide, clearances are based on Higher
High Water, Large Tides. For US charts use US tide tables, use
Canadian tide tables for Canadian charts.

BTW - the space between MWH and WLLW on US charts is the green stuff
(foreshore).

A couple of years I attempted to create an online lesson for reading
tide tables
(http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~jodale/e...t/content.html).

Jack

Jack Dale