Glenn Ashmore

Default The Bahamas, Key West and back.

In the islands of the Caribbean it is not tidal current. There is a
constant 1 to 3 knot westward flow through the Windwards and Leewards ,
at least a knot or two northward through the Bahamas and a couple of
knots eastward through the Keys. If it were not for the current
everyone on the islands would have died of cholera years ago.

There are some stagnant anchor ages on many islands but it is pretty
obvious which they are.

I do wonder about snorkeling in some over used spots in popular areas of
the East coast of the US where the "official" count of pump out stations
is way over stated but if the EPA would get their posteriors off the pot
and their heads out of the sand box and permit Type I treatment systems
to be universally used that would be much less of a problem too.

Jack wrote:
Capt. Bill,

With due respect, Tidal Current just moves the sewage from one place to
another.

OK - Let's say you get up in the morning, make breakfast, use the head, wash
the dishes and then decide on a swim - Oh Oh - we have to wait 4 - 8 hours
for the Tidal Current to clean up the water, shoot, better do something else
this morning and swim after lunch (by which time it's time to use the head
again and so on.

We have enjoyed cruising the islands, but been very careful about when to
swim - especially if there are other boats around that are probably
discharging overboard.

Jack

From: "Jack"

Rick - They may very well - The water in the Bahamas "looks" clean, but

that

clear water also contains all the sewage and grey water from the boats in
the anchorage.

Two words, tidal current.

Capt. Bill

--