jps

Default Speaking of caulking ...

"Paul" wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
My anchor gypsy (okay, I'm not really sure it's called that ... the thing
that I wrap the rode around and it pulls it up when I press the button) is
caulked around the bottom where it attaches to the deck. The caulking is
getting some mold or fungus or whatever -- I didn't DNA test it.

I shot it with some fantastik but that didn't do anything. The caulking
itself seems to be fine but it looks like crap and I'd like to clean it

up.

My question is this:

Should I just caulk right over it to make it nice again or will the mold
come right through again? Is there some cleaner that I can use?

Mold is a bitch once it's set in. I'd just get the razor blade out and
start cutting the stuff out. If you're a decent caulker, you'll be happy
with the results.

From my kitchen and bathroom experience, those slightly rounded sponges work
incredibly well at smoothing if you're going with a water-based caulk. I'm
not certain how to get a nice bead with the polysulfides...

No doubt someone here knows the answer.

jps