Larry Larry is offline

Default Getting Rid of Damp

Justin C wrote in
:

Out of interest, is it possible to keep the air in a boat dry? OK, if
you've got a de-humidifier running 24/7, and the boat is closed up then,
yep, I expect it'll dry out, but what about a boat that's used
regularly? Can you ever dry it out?

Justin.

Here in Charleston, we run the ACs only at the dock. It dries out the boat
all the time it's at the dock. Starting dry, the mildew and bacteria
aren't growing on everything you see as you cast off the lines and it takes
a long time for the swamp air blowing in to start that growth going. The
stuff in the enclosed spaces remain in dry air until you open the cabinet
door, extending the time the clothes keep away from the swamp condensate
and its load of growing biology. So, for many days, you get to wear clean
clothes.....usually long enough to get to the next outlet and get the AC
pumping it all out, again.

For those living like hermits on an anchor or mooring ball, just like
sleeping with the flashlights and doing without many other things, living
in the swampwater is just another stick inconvenience in a long string of
hermit inconveniences.