Chuck Bollinger

Default Spectra 150 Deluxe Watermaker

Jerry F wrote:
I have used Spectras on my last three boats. I currently have the Newport
400 with the MPC 3000 controller. Obviously, I think the Spectras are good
or I wouldn't keep buying them. I had a few service issues with my prior
unit that were all handled to my satisfaction by Spectra. I love the
functionality that the MPC3000: best controller they have had yet.

My first two installs were on sailboats. I chose the Spectras primarility
because of energy efficiency. My current boat is a trawler. I chose the
spectra again primarilly because of my good experiences with the
equipment/company, second because it seemed noticable quieter than any of
the other units I have seen(heard) on other boats, and third for the energy
efficiency --- although not as much of an issue since there is enough other
STUFF drawing my battereies down now.

I've been looking in because a watermaker is moving up on our list. I went to
Spectra and it appears that all of the units have similar operation features -
pretty much 'hands off' for routine operation, and they all seem to have the MPC
3000 which you singled out. And it looks as though the components, though
smaller, are of equal quality and function.

So is component size and power requirement (and output, of course) the only
difference? I need far less than 400 gallons per day, and would opt for a
smaller unit.