katy katy is offline

Default Getting Rid of Damp

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Katy,
You are not going to like my advice, but the problem you are facing is that
your hull is not insulated and has become a cold sink creating condensation.
For your information, this is what kills steel vessels, as it creates
corrosion in those places you do not have access to. The correct solution is
to insulate the hull with Urethane foam and then paint the foam with a fire
retardent latex paint. This will prevent the moist air from condensing on
the cold hull. Insulation without an air barrier is insufficient. A
dehumidifier is a band aid. It will help, but will not resolve the problem.
Of course this task should have been done before the interior was installed,
but then the cost would have made the boat less competitive for sale and
this problem would never be the builder's in any case. I have suggested
Urethane foam, but other products perform as well, like sprayed cork, but
they are not better or less expensive.
Steve

Well...since the boat was not ever buiolt to be a li veaboard, I suppose
the manufacturer would have considered that superfluous...we have a 31'
Kirie Elite and you're right...there ain't much between us and the deep
blue...I have noticed that the prpoblem does not occur in the bins
behind the settees which have slatted wood instead of material next to
the hull....We're not getting condensation anywhere else except in the
closed areas (it's a fiberglass boat BTW, so no fear on the steel boat
thing)...The head liner seems to provide enough insulation that we don't
get ceiling moisture...but the foam insulation is an idea...the liner in
the berths needs to be replaced and that time would be good to do
something like that...ah...another boat project...yay...but since we
will be living aboard every winter we'll need to do something
efficient...thanks...