katy katy is offline

Default Getting Rid of Damp

Capt. JG wrote:
"katy" wrote in message
om...
We're having some problems with damp seeping in. Both the v-berth and the
aft cabin have wood bins on the sides for storage...these are open and
about 9 inches deep. That's where we store our clothes. The hull side and
bottoms are carpeted with the same fabric as the the liner, a sort of
nubbly burlappy material but more closely woven. It seems the clothes on
the bottom are always damp. I've been rotating them so they won't mildew
but that's getting tedious. Also have damp problems where the cushions
meet the hull walls in the berths. Got some roll out thick paper stuff
from West Marine but as soon as it gets damp, the sheets start picking up
moisture again. I've taken to running fans all the time to keep air
circulating and am cutting back on boiling anything or running the heater
excessively when it's raining so humidity doesn't build up. I've got 3M
window plastic over the ports and the vents are all open and drawing.
Thought of using DampRid, but since NC is in a permanent state of humid,
we'd be going through one of those every other day. Any suggestions on how
to keep damp and mildew from forming (except stopping breathing
processes)?

Hi Katy! I hope all is well! As others suggested a dehumidifier works great.
I don't have much of a problem with dampness during the summer months, but
I've noticed minor problems with the weather cools. I've going to get one
myself after I haul in February.

Hey Jon...al's well...went shopping for one this afternoon but
WallyWorld said they were out of season(Like it's ever dry in coastal
NC????) and all Lowe's had was some big honkin ones that were bigger
than our water heater...and of the drawer type. So I'm going to see what
Defender's and Sear's have. Yesah, summer isn't a problem...the AC takes
care of it and I just let drain down the scuppers..