[email protected] threepontoon@live.com is offline

Default For you PC networking types...

On Jan 4, 1:54*pm, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 09:37:23 -0800 (PST), wrote:
I retained full WPA security both in the link to
the main router and in the repeated link to the shop. *It just shows
up as a new SSID with a different IP address range. *Pretty slick.

Good stuff. *I'm sure some of us would be interested in more detail,
especially since it has some applicability on a boat.

Some questions that come to mind:

*- Is there a good step-by-step tutorial on the process?

*- If not, where is the best info on what firmware to download and how
to configure it?

Wayne, it's a bit convoluted to find the info on the web site, but
here's a link to where you want to start:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

From there you can click on links for the FAQ (a good place to start),
and there are pages with lists for hardware compatibility, software
feature sets, step-by step instructions on how to configure for
different purposes, etc.

The repeater function can be setup to be locked down to a single
router, or can be setup to simply repeat the strongest signal. Unless
I misunderstand the functionality, that might be a good use for a
boat. With a directional antenna on the repeater, you could point it
towards the source at the marina, and let it repeat the signal for
your boat. Actually, once it links to the source, you can use the
wired ports on the WRT54GL router I used as well. That's how I
initially setup and tested mine.