Jim Jim is offline

Default Bimini top brackets

wrote:
On Jan 4, 9:31 am, John H wrote:
On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 09:01:56 -0500, Jim wrote:
John H wrote:
The bimini top on my Key West uses a mounting like this"
http://tinyurl.com/9ozwsy
This bracket allows the frame member mounted therein to rotate from front
to back without placing undue stress on the mounting screws. Note, I said
screws, not through bolts.
However when underway, even slowly, or just at anchor with a small amount
of ripple in the water, the bimini top sways from side to side. The side to
side motion gets transmitted directly to the screws in the brackets, and
causes them to loosen. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they
strip or worse.
I'm wondering if there aren't some fittings made that would have a ball
socket or some such to allow complete forward and back movement *and* some
degree of lateral movement.
Anyone know of such a thing? Help!
We need to reduce or eliminate the sway.
What is the frame made of?
Show a picture of the frame, set up with the canvas on it.

I don't have any pictures with the bimini up. I think it's ugly. The frame
is stainless steel.

I could reduce the sway by using some bungee cords or straps *across* the
boat, or to the center console. I've thought of that, but the straps would
be in the way of walking around. As a last resort, that's what I'll do.

I'm thinking there must be some mounting brackets *made* to allow side to
side motion. I've just got to find them!- Hide quoted text -

Not sure but I would look into Sailboat hardware... Lot's of moving
joints there, one might suit your needs..

Boom to mast hardware comes to mind. I don't think it's what he should
be thinking about though.