[email protected] LoogyPicker@gmail.com is offline

Default Bimini top brackets

On Jan 4, 9:20*am, John H wrote:
On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 08:51:55 -0500, "Reginald P. Smithers III, Esq."

wrote:
John H wrote:
The bimini top on my Key West uses a mounting like this"

http://tinyurl.com/9ozwsy

This bracket allows the frame member mounted therein to rotate from front
to back without placing undue stress on the mounting screws. Note, I said
screws, not through bolts.

However when underway, even slowly, or just at anchor with a small amount
of ripple in the water, the bimini top sways from side to side. The side to
side motion gets transmitted directly to the screws in the brackets, and
causes them to loosen. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they
strip or worse.

I'm wondering if there aren't some fittings made that would have a ball
socket or some such to allow complete forward and back movement *and* some
degree of lateral movement.

Anyone know of such a thing? Help!

Is there a way to replace the screws with bolts and a backing plate?
The current screw allows side to side motion, and some of the motion is
absorbed by spring. *If you had a bracket that did not allow side to
side motion, the fiberglass and screw would be taking all the stress
directly and would actually strip quicker. *Or at least that is my
story, and I am sticking to it.

What I'm looking for is some type of ball and socket bracket that would
allow side to side motion without transmitting the stress to the screws.- Hide quoted text -

Impossible. If it were a ball and socket type of connection, then it
would be free to rotate all the way to the ground or water. If it were
limited somehow, then it would still put the same amount of stress on
the screws when it reached that limit.