Larry

Default Watermaker pressure regulator?

I've just looked for the article I read when I was deciding on whether
to put a steam distiller or osmosis system into my house. I chose
steam distillation.

The article was NOT published by either camp of zealot salesman trying
to make the other guy's system look bad. It came from a medical
university. Sorry it's gone......

But, the gist of what I read about osmosis turned me off. The start
out just great on their $150 membranes, but they deteriorate rapidly
into 80% filter. What was the MOST disturbing was a medical report I
read about bacterial breakdown at the membrane.....

The membrane blocks bacteria, all of it or nearly all of it. However,
the bacteria piled up against the membrane are bombarded by the stuff
the membrane is filtering and soon BREAK UP into their TOXINS whos
molecules are SMALLER than the water molecules.....and pass THROUGH
the membrane into your side. This is bad, really bad.

It scared me away from osmosis, the holy grail of water filter plants.
It just makes sense.

My system here makes 12 gallons a day on 1200 watts of electricity.
There is a carbon prefilter to pull the organic chemicals out of the
water prior to the boiler, then another carbon post-filter on top of
my collection tanks to trap the benzene and the like out of the
condensed water that usually gives distilled water that metallic
taste. What comes out is really delicious and has a VERY high
resistance in the multigigohm range at 10KVDC, one of the best tests
of purity. Costs about 30c/gallon to make and there is little
recurring costs like expensive, hightech membranes, backflushing and
maintenance. My unit is porcelain and easily comes apart. Just a
flush to get the scale out that's flaked off the stainless element and
she's ready for more......

Larry W4CSC

"No, NO, Mr Spock! I said beam me down a WRENCH,
not a WENCH! KIRK OUT!"