Don W.

Default 12volt fridge

Larry,

I think the issue is that if you have a smart battery charger it
will sense the current draw of the fridge and kick the voltage
up to the "charging" voltage instead of the "float" voltage. This
will result in your batteries being overcharged while the fridge
is running.

Don W.

Larry wrote:

Why not just run the fridge off the battery with the charger on it.
There's no danger at all this way....I wasn't trying to tell him to
operate it off the charger without the battery online.

On 31 Jul 2003 05:31:27 -0700, (Richard
Kollmann) wrote:

Most 12 volt boat refrigerators today have Danfoss compressors with
brushless motors inside and an electronic motor control as a separate
unit or Swing compressors which are pulsed on 12 volts by
electronics. Running these units direct from the battery charger
without a battery as a buffer can be a $300 mistake. To learn more
about refrigerators running off battery chargers go to
http://www.kollmann-marine.com and click on BATTERY STRESS.

Richard Kollmann
Author of books on boat refrigeration.

Larry W4CSC

"No, NO, Mr Spock! I said beam me down a WRENCH,
not a WENCH! KIRK OUT!"