Larry Larry is offline

Default New Yaesu on Panbo

Wayne.B wrote in
:

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 03:47:50 +0000, Larry wrote:

Dstar CAN provide that internet link to your boat anchored out about 50
miles from a D-star repeater you've been dreaming about. You'll need a
ham license....easy to get, now.

What kind of internet link and how fast?

Almost all offshore voice communication is being done via satphones
these days such as Iridium. Price averages about $1.50/min or less
using pre-paid service. The monthly charge can be as low as $35
depending on the plan. While not exactly cheap it is certainly
reasonable enough if you need to keep in touch or have an emergency.

We're limited by bandwidth on the ham bands. On the 1.2Ghz band, the link
speed is ISDN speed of 128Kbps...quite respectable for old ham radio! I
can remember when I became the first ASCII station on RTTY in the 4th Call
District. We went from the limit of 74 baud (bps) Baudot teletype code to
110 baud ASCII. FCC wouldn't let us run 300 bps....too much bandwidth.

Look in the brochure at the various speeds on the picture. I posted the
URL previously.