jeannette

Default Macerator installation

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:16:43 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

jeannette wrote:
Possibly a check valve in front of the macerator so it isn't
constantly loaded. Mine has one. Close the valve then turn the
macerator off.

Not a check valve...a y-valve (aka diverter valve) that allows you to
choose between pumping out or going to the macerator.

No I did mean a check valve in front of the macerator. The Y valve is
just after the toilet. It diverts to either the tank or overboard. The
checl valve is between the tank and the macerator pump. I open it
before turning the pump on and turn it off when done. I used it twice
so far in 2 years when I got out of the San Francisco Bay, past the 3
miles limit.

I do have a question for you Peggie. I am looking for a Tank Level
Monitor. I saw some time ago a system that worked with sensors on the
outside of the tank. My tank is fiberglass. Do you (or anyone) know
where I can find that?

Jeannette

However, whether the boat should even HAVE a macerator or any other pump
to dump the tank depends on whether the boat is in coastal waters that
provide immediate access to open sea...'cuz it's illegal to dump a tank
in ANY US waters....only when at least 3 miles out to sea. And that
doesn't mean 3 miles from shore in a lake, river, bay or sound...it
means 3 miles from the nearest point on the whole North American
coastline. So unless he has immediate access to open sea, he might as
well just remove the macerator altogether...'cuz the fines for dumping a
tank illegally are very steep.

Jeannette Bristol 32, San Francisco
http://www.eblw.com/contepartiro/contepartiro.html