Questions

Default Macerator installation

Interesting comment Peggy. I live aboard and boat in the great lakes.
Pumped out every two weeks or so.

When you say "When, if ever, have you rinsed out the tank"

I am lead to ask two questions:

1) How often do you think this needs to be done?
2) What do you mean by rinsed out?

At each pump out, I pump out, then fill the tank with a few gallons of
water, then pump out again. If I feel like it, I do that twice. Is that
enough, or are you suggesting filling the tank, going for a sail to
slosh it up and then pumping out?

I REALLY do not want to have to open the tank inspection ports, so
anything I can do to minimize the possibility I will do! I do not use
chemicals in the head. I did, but found that it was a never ending cycle
of adding more blue liquid to mask the smell.

Instead, I use a powder made for septic systems that grows a bacteria of
some sort in the tank. The blue liquid would kill that bacteria. Since I
started using this powder the head has exhibited almost no smell. That
is except when I get a pump out. After a pump out the whole boat just
REEKS. I figured out why just recently. I believe that the pump out
empties the hose to the head too, and in so doing, opens a direct path
to allow the tank vapors to enter the cabin. Only reason I think so is
because I can remove the smell by pumping a cupfull of water into the head.

Anyway, just wanted to ask my questions. Thanks for all the advice I
have read over the years here. You really have helped a lot of folks by
sharing your knowledge!

Peggie Hall wrote:
WF wrote:

I'd be interested in views as to whether a macerator pump should be
installed higher than the holding tank.

Within the limits set by the macerator mfr, yes...it can be.

Background: On my boat, the macerator (Jabsco) is installed on top of
the waste tank (about 2 feet high). Although it's supposedly
"self-priming", it only functioned if the tank was completely full,
and then it would only take out a gallon or two. Ultimately, the
impeller self-destructed.

That sounds like a blocked tank vent causing the pump to pull a vacuum,
not a problem with the macerator location. Or a blockage in the tank
discharge line. When, if ever, have you rinsed out the tank to get rid
of sludge accumulation on the bottom of it? 'Cuz macerators aren't that
powerful..a hoseful of sludge that can't make it through the pump can
stop one cold.

Armed with a new impeller, I am now considering installing it at the
same level as the base of the holding tank. I'd think it would then
be more likely to prime, and actually pump.

Moving the macerator might extend the life of the impeller a little by
cutting the time it takes to prime from 2-3 seconds to 1...but I don't
think the current location is the problem.

The only down-side I see
is that it would be constantly "loaded" with waste (unlike now, where
the residual waste presumably drains back down the hose to the tank
level). But if the pump seals are good, I figure that's not a
problem?

That problem can easily be solved--and should be--by putting a y-valve
in the tank discharge line instead of only a tee fitting. I say "should
be" because macerators never fail when a tank is empty...you need to be
able to cut off the flow of waste to the pump to work on it.

Peggie
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html